Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cloth & Cardstock Embossed Flowers

I'm so happy to be today's
 Summertime Guest Designer at

           Joan's Garden
Today's Challenge is to make
"Cloth and Cardstock Embossed Flowers"

My technique that I came up with is one using embossing
folders, ink, cardstock and muslin material. I made flowers
 using this technique and I like how it turned out,
and I hope you do too.

      Here is what I used
 1 81/2 x 11 sheet cardstock natural ivory and
        1 81/2 x 11 sheet old olive cardstock.
 I then used modge podge to glue the muslin material
 to each piece of cardstock
             and let them dry good. I then cut it too fit my Tim Holtz dies.
I used Tattered Flowers and Tattered leaves dies.
I then layered two pieces at a time to cut putting the material
side facing the die and ran it through my Big Shot machine.
Easy peasy!                                                       

Once cut (step 1.) I sponged distress ink on each one lightly
then took my Tim Holtz Embossing folders, Cracked for
 the leaves, Damask for the large flower, and the
Cuttlebug Stylized Flowers for the smaller flowers,
and on the inside of the back of the folder I put ink
directly onto the embossing folders then added the
material cardstock piece and put it material side down
onto the inked part, closed it and ran it through the Big Shot.
Once that was done I added some more ink with the
Tim Holtz applicator over the top of the material to
 tone it some more. I then curled the edges of the flowers
 using a handle of a paint brush then layered the flowers
 using dimensionals in between each layer and added
the Tim Holtz Ideology flower and a brad in the center.
The Distress ink colors I used on the leaves were
 Peeled Paint, & Crushed Olive. On the flowers I used
Victorian Velvet & Fired Brick. I used the lighter inks
in step 1. of the inking process then the darker ink inside
 the embossing folder.


                                  In this project I also used Tim Holtz's Elegant Flourishes die,
and the Spellbinders Labels Four nestie. My gold Pilot Marker
outlined everything to add shimmer. The focal image is one
I got free on-line but do not remember where sorry. I used
a necklace chain from Hobby Lobby to hang it up with.
The trim and lace are from my stash. The wonderful stamp
set is a Tim Holtz Stampers anonymous set called "Shabby French".
Most of these items used to make this hanging collage can
be gotten at Joan's Garden.
Have fun making these pretty flowers and enter them in
Joan's Challenge, you have two weeks to enter,
hurry she has awesome prizes and you might just win!!!
Thanks for stopping by !!!


  1. I love this, the flowers and leaves are amazing. Great job.

  2. Lana- This is gorgeous!I will try to play along!

  3. Gorgeous project! Love your technique!!!

  4. This is awesome Lana! One question ... what did you use as the BASE? Chipboard, cardboard, tin???
    Your flowers & leaves are awesome and the entire wall hanging is GORGEOUS!!

  5. Very beautiful, Lana! Thank you for sharing with us how it was done :)

  6. In the first step, do you mean you glued two pieces of muslin onto each other using Mod Podge? Which Mod Podge did you use? Can I used other than Mod Podge?
    Thanks for the great tutorial. I would love to try this too.

  7. First, your card is one of the most elegant I have seen! Second, your tutorial is wonderful and thank you for sharing your talent too!

  8. Absolutely fabulous! I never would have thought to do it this way. What's funny is that JoAnns had a great price on muslin and I just had to buy some thinking I'd find a way to make flowers out of it with my bigshot - well now I know what I'm going to do! Thank you so much for your tutorial. I think it's time for me to get messy! :)

  9. This is absolutely beautiful, Lana!! So many pretty details. Love those flowers! Thanks for sharing.

  10. Hi Lana, I just found you through Joan and love your tutorial. I am doing a vintage ATC swap and these will be perfect. Thanks from another Ohio gal. Hugs, Sarah